Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Perspective....from Nick

I have a confession.  Nick is driving me batty these days.  To be fair, as a family we've been "out of sorts," and the summer has just been exceptionally long, without structure or routine.  That takes a toll on my 42 year old self, imagine how it takes a toll on an ADHD 10 year old!  But every so often Nick gives me a glimpse of the real Nick.  It's a bit like Jeckyll and Hyde.  Last night we were driving in the car and listening to my favorite song, "Thy Will."  My mom had listened to this song with Nick recently and Nick remembered when his nana told him that this was my favorite new song and he mentioned it to me.  I told Nick the song meant a lot to me given the current season of my life.  I followed up by telling Nick the last 9 months had just been hard on Mike and I.  In that moment, Nick looked at me directly and with a heart full of love he said, "Mom, don't you get it, Dad had to lose his job in order to go down a better path and you had to suffer your ankle fracture in order for your life to be saved."  I just looked at him dumbfounded.  He went on to say that God works everything out and to have faith.  I admit, I teared up just a bit.  I thanked my boy and told him his words were just what I needed to hear.  It amazes me sometimes how God uses the smallest being (my boy who is amped up from football, a non structured summer, ADHD and who can complain like nobody's business) to bring perspective and build us up. 

No comments: