Tuesday, March 2, 2010

My last 24 hours

Let me set the scene for this blog. Last evening I came home from work and the boys were wound like tops, Mike was in the shop and I was trying to go through the mound in Jay's back-pack when I noticed there was a talent show coming up at Jay's school in April. I quickly asked him what he wanted to do (if anything) for the school talent show. Jay told me he wanted to play his guitar and I said without even thinking, "Well, you're just not that good at it, Jay." As soon as I said it, I couldn't believe I was so careless with my words. Jay's face dropped and he yelled "Well forget it then, mom," and he stormed off. I tried to undo the damage and follow him, trying to talk it out which is such a typical woman/mom thing to do which only seemed to annoy Jay more. I decided to give him some space and when he came out of his room he was wearing a sign taped to his shirt that read, "I am stupid." I wanted to stick my head in a hole and die, I felt so bad, then his tears started. I apologized to Jay and explained to him I did not mean to say he wasn't good at the guitar. I actually think he has great potential with the guitar but he hasn't had a lesson yet and that's my fault. I asked him if he wanted to take guitar lessons and he said Yes so I'm now on a mission to find someone who will give Jay guitar lessons. This whole episode will just go down as yet another parenting mistake. We all make them but if I could undo the words that spewed out of my mouth last night, I would.
Fast forward to this morning. The boys and I are walking out the door to go to work and school when I noticed I had a flat tire. I calledy friend, Laura, my lifesaver, and she agreed to get the boys picked up for school. While I'm making the arrangements with her, Nick proceeds to jump on ice and falls through the ice and ends up being ankle deep in icy water, he screamed so loudly I think he woke up half of our neighborhood. So, while I was trying to figure out how I was getting to work, I was also trying to get Nick changed before Laura came. Once it was all said and done the boys got to school okay with Laura, I was able to put air in my tire and drive it to the repair shop, only to learn I needed to replace all of my tires so I'm officially $365 poorer tonight.
What a day! It can only get better.

3 comments:

Christy said...

Amy you poor thing - what a day! The Music Shoppe in Normal has a good selection of guitar instructors. You may want to try there for Jay's lessons. I'm glad to hear that Jay is interested in exploring his musical talents!!!! Hopefully tomorrow is better. :)

Steph said...

Oh no!!! Yes, I hope tomorrow is better! It can only get better right?

The Stille's said...

don't sweat it!!!