Thursday, June 3, 2010

What are we doing next?

"What are we doing next, mom?" I must hear this question from Jay at least five times a day and he really tunes it up a notch in the summer. Jay is my child who requires constant entertainment. As he has gotten older and I've gotten wiser, Mike and I really try to meet a balance with him and make him understand it is not our job to provide him with constant entertainment. With age and maturity he's slowly improved but the initial transition into summer is always a little difficult for Jay. He'll settle in and have a great summer as he always does but until then I just need to take a deep breath every time the kid asks me, "What are we doing next, mom?" This past Saturday, I took the boys out for breakfast, to the park, then to State Farm Pool and we finished the day off by seeing "Shrek." As we were driving home after our very busy (and fun, I might add) Jay asks me, "What are we going to do when we get home?" I wanted to scream, "NOTHING!!!!" In fact that's exactly what I did say, I just didn't yell it. Then tonight, the second I walk in the door, Jay greeted me by asking, "What are we going to do tonight, mom?" That is after he spent the morning with his favorite girl, Holly, then spent the afternoon with my mom who took him to Red Lobster for lunch and Toys R Us!
Thankfully Jay has a lot of people in his life who plan accordingly and keep him busy! I like to reflect on the advice that James Dobson's father in law once gave him (which he spoke about in his book, "Raising Boys") he said, "If you ever let those kids of yours get bored, then you deserve whatever they do to you!"

No comments: