Sunday, October 17, 2010

One of those moments

I blog because it's my way of documenting what is going on with my family. Living this life each and every day I think I'll never forget but I will and I have. Mike likes to make fun of my blogging but I tease him that one day when we're old and gray, he'll be glad I did this. I've tried to reflect the good, the bad and the ugly in my blog. My life is far from perfect and I am raising two challenging boys. But something happened the other day that really made me smile. Jay had a sleep over with a friend recently. This friend is a kid he's had some challenges with in the past but they seem to have turned a corner in their relationship. When I dropped Jay off for the sleep over I was nervous - the group of boys weren't Jay's usual crowd. When I picked him up the next morning Jay's friend told me that they had a good time and he thought Jay had gotten to know these other boys better - always a good thing. The boy's mother asked me into the kitchen for some coffee. I joined her and she told me her son was insistent on inviting Jay to his sleep over because there had been kids who had been mean to him at school and Jay had stuck up for him. I was so proud of both of those boys. I was proud of the other boy for overlooking the challenges they had faced in the past - by inviting him to his sleep over he not only deepened the friendship between the two of them but introduced my son to another group of friends - friends that Jay always liked but hadn't gotten to know very well. I don't think there are any words to describe the pride I felt when I heard my son had stuck up for another. Keep it up, Jay, you are turning into one outstanding young man.

2 comments:

Christy Kelson said...

Way to go Jay and Jeremy!!!!!! Proud of you both!!!!!

The Stille's said...

you should be proud