Sunday, March 27, 2011

Conversations with Jay

I had two very funny conversations with Jay recently. Jay is my child with more of a dry sense of humor - and he doesn't just blurt out whatever comes into his head like his brother. I was preparing for a dinner party for my dear friend, Mary (I'll include details on that in another blog) and I had to go to the liquor store to buy some wine. When I pulled into the parking lot my conversation with Jay went like this: Jay, "Mom, you know dad doesn't like it when you take me to a liquor store." Mom, "Well he just didn't like it when I took you to University Liquors (a totally trashy liquor store - not one of my better parenting moments) but this liquor store is a little more upscale." (Yes, I was really reaching at this point). As we were walking in I could hear Jay muttering something behind me. I turned around and asked him what he was mumbling about under his breath. His response, "I'm just talking to Jesus, telling him you're taking me into another liquor store." Let me finish this story by clearing something up. I rarely take my kids to a liquor store but there has been an occasion where I need to stop and get wine - usually for a party I'm having and never because I just "feel like it." But Jay has the memory of an elephant and I'm sure will remind me for years to come how I "dragged" him into liquor stores - Pleazeeee. Then just the other day we were driving to visit my dad in the nursing home. This is not one of Jay's most favorite things to do and he asked me why we had to visit Grandpa Brad. My response is always simple and it's always the same, "Because he's my dad." I then tried the whole put yourself in someone else's shoes and pointed out to him that one day - if he's ever in a home - wouldn't he want someone to come visit him? He didn't miss a beat and responded with (and Aunt Karen, this one is for you), "No, I just like to be left alone." Spoken like the true introvert that he is - god love him.

No comments: