Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Strong Willed - maybe?

I'm a blogging fool this week. The reality is that from 8:30 until 9:00 there isn't a lot to do - did I just write that? I'm not quite ready for bed yet and my husband is a T.V. hog. We have one T.V. in the entire house - Yes, another shocking statement and the way I see it is Mike works so hard everyday. His only down time is from about 8:00 - 9:30 every night. Besides these days I only watch Army Wives and The Good Wife so I'm really not into T.V. too much. So, during those 30 minutes I tend to crawl under my electric blanket and blog. Over the weekend I went to the Hearts At Home conference - loved it. It was money and time well spent. I went with my good friends, Jen and Kristi. Each of us have two kids and we each have one strong willed child. Can you guess which one mine is? JAY - god love him! But here's the thing - as Jay has gotten older I'm not convinced he's as strong willed as I once thought he was. He comes from a mother who was over the top strong willed and I'm so not a strong willed adult but let me tell you, I was as a kid - all the way through high school until about the time my parent's got a divorce and I was smart enough to realize my mom couldn't deal with divorcing my dad and dealing with me - it had to be one or the other so I straightened myself out rather quickly. Ha. When Jay was smaller I would draw a line and he'd cross it every time. He would also argue with me over everything. The sky could be totally blue, without a cloud in it and I'd comment what a beautiful blue sky there was and he'd say, "No, it's not, I don't see a blue sky." Often times I think I misconstrue Jay's impulsivity with him being strong willed. He's got some of the great qualities of a strong willed child. He's tender hearted and he is extremely determined. My friend, Kristi, made a great analogy. She said if you have a straight line and at one end is a complaint child and the other end is a strong willed child and then you draw a line in the middle - Nick would fall a little more on the side of a complaint child but not to the extreme complaince side and Jay would fall a little more on the side of a strong willed child but again, not to the extreme. In any case I so enjoy the differences between my children and I can only hope I can figure their song and help them sing it.
Did you like that little.......find their song and help them sing it? I learned that from my conference this week. Check out www.kendrasmiley.com. She and her husband wrote "Parenting Like A Pro," and "Journey of a Strong Willed Child." I loved their presentation and I am loving their "Journey of a Strong Willed Child" book.

No comments: