Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Happy Birthday, Mom!

My mom will be turning 60 on March 2. Not only are we excited about the big 6-0 but she retires in May. Her family is officially complete with two daughters and four grandchildren - all of whom live with 30 miles of her - if that is what 60 looks like then I'm all over it. I wanted to write a little "Ode to mom" on her 60th. I tried to incorporate a little humor in it but I also tried to really think back on some of the things my mom has said or done for me that I really remember and trust me, that is really a stretch for me b/c my long term memory kind of stinks - hence why I blog.
*First off, she puts up with me calling her at least twice a day. When she's on vacation or not working I tune it up a knotch and will talk to her usually three times a day!
*Nothing and I mean nothing my children do surprises her. I LOVE that about my mom. I can truly be horrified by something the boys have done and my mom has never gasped in horror. Often times she reminds me that she mothered me. She jokes that when she was pregnant with me she prayed for a challenging child and clearly the Lord delivered.
*I can always count on my mom to tell me the truth about my hair! Right now I'm getting the stamp of approval!
*I remember the night I met Mike. It was a cold and rainy April night. I was home from college and depressed and it was late (Mike didn't pick me up until 9:00). One thing my mom and I have in common is we are not night owls. In fact we really shut down after 8:00 - it's actually quite pathetic. Anyway, I didn't feel like going on a blind date that night and I went to ask my mom if I should even go - hoping she would discourage me from going and tell me to reschedule the date - but she didn't, she told me to do something with my hair (big surprise), get dressed and have a good time. And the rest of that story is history.
*I also vividly remember the three weeks that Jay and I lived with her in the fall of 2004. We had just closed on our house Mike had built but it was inhabitable for two year old. While Mike finished the house, Jay and I "lived" with mom. We would talk every night, cut up apples for Jay and he'd eat out of his monster bowl. Somewhere during that time frame she stopped me one day, looked me in the eye and told me I was a good mother and I was really good with Jay! Those are words that any daughter craves to hear - especially from a mother as fine as mine! And as any parent knows and feels, half the time I'm counting up all the mistakes I'm making and not counting the good things I do. A reminder from a respected and loved family member that I'm a good mother is always a good thing. Thanks Mom!
I could go on and on but I'll wrap it up. Mom, you are a wonderful mother (back at ya) and a loving Nana! May age 60 and beyond be some of the most fulfilling years of your life.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Aww, this was really sweet. And crack me up about your hair. We need someone honest like that! :) Hope your mom has a great bday and enjoys her retirement.