Tuesday, January 15, 2013

The Kindle

Mike and I bought Jay a Kindle for Christmas and it has been a major hit.  I find myself questioning why my almost 11 year old has this cool device and I don't.  My anniversary and my birthday are right around the corner.....hint, hint family members.  My motivation in buying it for Jay was for the reading aspect.  As Jay reads and comes across words he doesn't know the meaning of he simply touches the word and wa-la up comes the definition.  How cool is that?  Plus it's been nice because often times the books Jay's class are reading is different from the books he's reading personally.  He can upload all the books and take his Kindle to school everyday.  This is why I love his Kindle.  Jay would tell you he loves the game, Mine Craft.  He spends a lot of time building forts on mine craft - crazy!  The only down side to the Kindle is Jay use to read in his room at night when he went to bed.  We don't let him take his Kindle to bed or he'd be in Mine Craft all night.  Every evening Jay and I crawl into my bed under the electric blanket.  I read my book, he reads his Kindle.  Last night I asked him if he wanted to spoon with me (ha, ha).  His response, "Ewwww, No, Mom, Gross!"  Gone are the days of cuddling with my boy (who turns 11 tomorrow!).  Oh and big news here....Jay took a reading test yesterday and scored 5th grade level, 8th month.  This is HUGE news.  I'm so proud of him.

No comments: