Monday, January 28, 2013

The tide has turned

My husband has been exceptional in the homework department but I must admit through the years I've been labeled the "weakest link" in the family (unfairly I might add) by my dear children.  They seem to think their dad knows everything and can fix anything (okay this part is true, he really can fix anything).  He is one of those guys who is full of useless information.  You know the kind.  In all seriousness he is the most intelligent person I know except when it comes to spelling and writing.  Let's just say spell check is his best friend and his idea of forming a sentence is writing an add on eBay (using spell check, of course).  Through the years he and Jay have spent many hours at the breakfast bar over math and science homework.  He can handle the weekly spelling test and things have been smooth sailing for father and son until 5th grade!  Writing is introduced in a big way in 5th grade and it is rocking Jay's world.  He is reading well these days and now the writing is really a thorn in his side but never fear, mom is here!  I love words and writing and I'm soaking up that when Jay comes home from school he and I head straight down to my office to work on his writing assignments.  I try to lead him through it by asking the right questions but he's struggling.  I've seen Jay struggle before and I know he'll get through it.  This is new to him and he may not learn to love words or writing like I do but he'll get it.  Most of all, however, is I'm not considered the "weakest link" anymore.  I have redeemed myself.  Glory Be!  Gee, I really hope I spelled everything correctly in this blog.

No comments: