Friday, May 2, 2014

Thoughts on turning 40

My birthday is coming up soon and I decided I'm going to use this next week reflecting on turning 40; what is means to me, how I view things differently (than I did at 30) and speaking of different I'll write about how my 40 year old body is different from my 30 year old body......here's where I insert a sad face.  This is all reflections of me and my views which are not the same as everyone else's.  Some people do not relish the idea of turning 40, I, however am looking forward to it.  I did have a "revelation" about a week ago.  As I was looking in the mirror I was noticing how at age 40 I'm still battling zits, my muffin top has gotten a little "over the top," my skin looks like alligator skin and I'm cursing my Bushman feet which require regular pedicures.  I sighed and asked myself out loud, "Geez, Amy, is this what 40 really looks like?"  The second I said it I heard God say, "Yes, Amy, this is what 40 looks like; you have a faithful husband who loves you, two healthy kids and a warm home to live in with laughter and joy."  For a brief moment I had forgotten all this, it was overshadowed by my double chin, my jeans which were too tight and my dark roots which were in desperate need of a highlight.  None of that garbage matters to God and He has blessed my life immensely.  This was not where my mom was at 40 and I often wonder if she had to "take one for the team" to give the life my sister and I currently have.  She has told me that when she went through her divorce she had many conversations with God.  She told Him she'd go through the hell she did if it meant her children would never have to go through it.  God never wanted to see my mom go through her divorce, that I am certain of but I do know through her pain he made her stronger, blessed her with unwavering friendships and lead her girls to the life we currently have.  I have no idea what the future holds.  My life and Kim's life could be completely turned upside down in a blink of an eye but for today I am blessed and 40 doesn't look so bad after all. 

No comments: