Thursday, July 24, 2014

He knows

I've been struggling with an issue in my life lately and partly I feel a bit defeated.  My prayer life suffered during vacation and when I got back from vacation I tried to get back in the swings of things, knowing full well I wasn't really "feeling it."  When I self reflected I realized the problem was too big and anything that is too big for me always overwhelms me.  I'm like a middle school student who can't organize his work.  Then this morning I read a devotion my mom had cut out for me (see mom, I do enjoy your crazy cut outs - sometimes).  Romans 8:26, "We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans."  Groans, I love it.  Groan, I can do and I usually add some sighs with it also.  The devotion (along with the bible verse) was from a mother's perspective.  She didn't know what to do for her son or even how to pray for him.  Don't we as mothers always feel like this during certain seasons of our lives?  She writes, "A deep ache grows in my heart as I walk the two blocks to church, the grief of a mother whose teenager's troubles stretch far beyond her ability to solve.  I try to articulate my feelings in prayer but cannot.  Not knowing what else to do, I shove the groan in my soul God-ward, as if to say, 'here, this is what I mean.  You know.' And God does." 

No comments: