Sunday, October 2, 2011

The Salamander

Let me start my blog by saying I'm so glad it's October!  I love October and although it means (for us Illinoisians) we're that much closer to winter, I don't care, I'm going to suck up all the joy I can out of October.  I love Jay's football games, Nick's soccer games (painful as they may be to watch), cook-outs, the cool, crisp air, pumpkin patchs and with all these events comes my most favorite, spending time with family and friends.
On Friday night Jay discovered something odd in our yard.  Jay and I inspected it and came to the conclusion it was not a snake.  Jay is a huge animal lover and figured out it was a salamander.  A salamander near death I might add.  Jay put the salamander in bucket with rocks so the little guy could get up on the rocks and out of the water if he wanted to.  I told Jay he probably saved the little guys life because the salamander was in such bad shape when he found him that surely a raccoon or fox would have eaten him as soon as night fell.  Mike researched salamanders and although they can be found in Illinois, it's rare.  We plan on taking the little guy to our beach today and letting him go.  Apparently they bury themselves in the ground and this salamander probably wants to do that before it gets too cold.  Of course when I mentioned to Jay that he probably saved the salamander's life his response to me was, "Why don't you blog about it?"  You have to know Jay this was said with a little bit of sarcasm.  Well Gee Jay, I think I will, thank you.

No comments: