Saturday, January 29, 2011

The patient

Here is Jay the day after surgery. He was all smiles through the morning. He enjoyed all the pampering but by afternoon, he was exhausted and ready to go home which didn't happen. It's Saturday morning as I'm posting this and he's still in the hospital. They want to make sure they have him on the right meds to kill the staph infection before they send him home which totally makes sense but Jay was really down last night. We are hoping he gets to come home today.
About one hour after surgery. Notice his big wrapped finger! He wasn't in any pain, just very hungry since it was 4:30 in the afternoon and he hadn't eaten anything all day.

Nick enjoyed vistiting Jay as he got to play with the beds. As I was watching/listening to him I was thinking I was glad I was doing this whole hospital surgery thing with a 9 year old vs. a 4 year old. I have a feeling that had it of been Nick I would be deaf from the sounds of him moving his bed up and down, up and down all the time. On the day of Jay's surgery he had to go all morning and into the afternoon with no food and poor Nick took the brunt of his frustration with that. Jay was meaner than a snake to Nick but as I've always said about Jay since birth........when he's sick or doesn't feel well he's the most delightful child - you just have to make sure he's fed. Ha.
Right before surgery he had some drugs to make him sleepy. See picture below. Before he was sleepy he was giddy.

2 comments:

The Stille's said...

cute pictures. This will all be a distant memory soon!!

Katie said...

I can't imagine, Amy! I can relate to his hunger meanness though. My Jay always says if I am tired or hungry I am a monster. :) Glad he's home now and hope thar finger is healing. Another story to tell.