Sunday, December 25, 2011

Highlights of Christmas

It's Christmas night.  I am sitting by the fire and it's 72 degrees in my house (something unheard of this time of year).  I am in my new hot pink slippers (thank you sister) and my jammies.  It is a perfect ending to a perfect day.  Let's be honest, Christmas day can be stressful.  Mike must spend most of his day putting toy after toy together and you add that with trying to cook a prime rib or snow plow ( like last year) and it can get overwelming.  This year was different.  The weather was beautiful and mild - a heat wave of 40 degrees (again unheard of this time of year).  The boys got outside this afternoon and played in the mud.  My in laws came over and we had delightful conversation with good food and good wine.  I was a satisified mother today - knowing I still have it - because everything I got my boys they LOVED!  Seriously everything I got them was a hit.  Sure they had their favorites but they really liked everything.  A few highlights.
*Nick woke up first this morning, came to our room and announced, "Santa came and he left me gifts."  Nick went to bed last night not knowing if he had "cleaned up his act" enough to be placed on the good list so imagine how pleased he was this morning to find his name on the packages. Nick's favorite song this Christmas, "Mittens & Gloves."  I pray I never forget his little 5 year old voice singing that song. 
*Jay got an Ipod Touch and has been playing with it all day.  He also got a hunter game for the Wii that he's been playing all day.  I questioned whether Jay still believed in Santa.  If he doesn't he sure put on a good show for me.  He wrote his letter to Santa last night and put the cookies out.  He was a typical almost 10 year old boy this Christmas - easy going and all about the electronics! 
*Somehow and I'm not sure how we got 4 kids through a 90 minute Christmas eve service. 
*We sure enjoyed time with family this Christmas and we are so blessed to have them so close.  The wonder in Lauren's eyes and watching Luke scoot across the floor was a pure delight.

 I thought a lot about Mary and Joseph this Christmas.  What was their journey like?  We're they scared?  How would I have liked to deliver my children in a stable?  It was those thoughts that kept reminding me the real reason for the season. Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.

No comments: