Friday, January 16, 2015

Happy 13th Birthday, Jay

 I am officially the mother of a teenager and I have the gray hairs to prove it!  After my less than creative blogs over the past few days I wanted to put some thought into what I would write about on Jay's 13th bday when Jenny Ausili gave me the perfect opportunity.  The beauty of old friends who really get you and your kids is such a blessing.  Jenny sent me an article with Jay in mind.  The article was written by a mother whose son was turning 11.  If you're interested in reading the article, the blog is: We are that family, You know the ones."  So I did take some tid bits from her article, mostly because I could totally relate to what she was writing and I thought her thoughts were perfect for a 13 year old boy (even though she was writing for her 11 year old)
I told the boys this morning that when I gave birth 13 years old I could not have imagined how much joy they would bring into my life.  I think often that God has entrusted Mike and I to raise them and He sure must have a lot of confidence in us - ha!  A week ago we had a family dinner for Jay and we all went around the table talking about what we love about Jay.  A few things mentioned were his love of the outdoors, his sense of adventure, his heart for Jesus and his nana loves her donut buddy.    I am proud of Jay and the young man he's turning into.  He's starting to self reflect and be aware of how others feel.  He's starting to understand life isn't easy but he totally gets the love of family and he's at his best when he's surrounded by his dad, brother and yes, even me, although he'd appreciate it if I'd ask him less questions.  So in reading the article written by the author of the blog, she had the following thoughts/advice for her son which I tweaked for Jay. 
*You don't have to give in.  You know all about the pressure and you handle it so well.  Just look at how far you've come in school.  Possess the strength and character to walk away, the Christ living in you will help you stand. 
*You get second chances.  You don't always have to get it right every time.  It's what your dad always tells you, try it now and maybe you'll fail and that's okay, at least you know you tried it. 
*You don't have to be tough.  Your dad is one the "toughest" men I know and we all know how tender hearted he can be when he needs to be.  Remember, it's good to open the door for people and tuck your kids into bed at night.
*You don't need a girl yet (which you're well aware of at this age).  Become friends with Godly girls.  The girls will come, trust me. 
*You make me proud.  Every time I hear how well you're doing in school, every time I see you balance school and sports and when you offer to help Nick with his dribbling.
*You are a success if you love God and others.  Enough said about that because to me, this is the most profound advice!
*You have great men in your life.  Boy, do you ever, Jay!  What a blessing. 
*You can always come home.  I know we joke about how we don't want you living in our basement when you're 30 but things happen in life and you will always have a home (with rules) with your dad and I.
*You are loved deeply by your parents, your brother, your nana, your aunt, your grandparents and the Ausili's.  Most of all you are loved by God and are a blessing to Him and us.  Despite what joys or sorrow come your way, you will be just fine, you're surrounded by love.  Make sure you also give your love away, it's the best way to receive it. 

Love you, Jay and Happy 13th Birthday!
 

No comments: