Thursday, March 26, 2020

Day 11 - COVID 19; Jay

When Jay started his senior year I promised myself I would enjoy every minute of it and up until March 13 I had.  I did not think that when school dismissed on March 13 that it could possibly Jay's last day of his senior year, but that is the way it's looking.  
The end of 2019 and the beginning of 2020 were full or promise for all Americans.  I still remain cautiously optimistic that all of our futures are promising, especially Jay's.  Just a few weeks ago he had applied to a plumbing/HVAC apprenticeship.  Right before the pandemic hit us he was getting ready to also apply for an electrical apprenticeship.  Plans were made for him to move full steam ahead with going to our local junior college (if the apprenticeships didn't work out).  All of these things can and more than likely will still happen, it just may look or feel different.  It's my opinion that no matter what the economy looks like trades people will still be in desperate need.  Honestly there has been little disruption to Jay's daily life.  He somehow managed to get a job in all this and is working.  He still sees his friends but is mindful of social distancing, a term most seniors will wish they never hear again when this is all over.  I'm just a wee bit sad that his senior year came to such an abrupt stop.  However, I try to keep things in perspective.  I noticed a post on social media the other day which pointed out that when our parents were graduating high school they were preparing for the Vietnam War.  It was a truth not missed on me.  Sure things look and feel different right now but it's been a good lesson in perseverance to all of us but especially our young seniors.

No comments: