Thursday, March 19, 2020

Day 3 and 4 - COVID -19

We are living during a historic and I mean historic time in history!  Never in my lifetime have I seen anything like this.  I am hearing that this pandemic is being compared to the Spanish Flu of 1918.  Every day the news is worse; more cases, more deaths, more people losing their jobs.  Our economy was roaring two weeks ago.  During the Trump administration retirement funds and IRA's grew 30%.  In a matter of two weeks, that 30% gain has been wiped out.  Bars and restaurants are closed, as are anything and everything that gathers more than 10 people.  Weddings are being cancelled..  Mike and I have lost so much out of our accounts these past few weeks but we are a few of the lucky ones.  We are employed and have a small savings.  Jay's senior year is almost surely over.  He got a job offer this week and will start tonight and for that we are very thankful.  His future, his plans, like everyone else's are being put on hold.  President Trump is bringing military ships into the east and west coast as floating hospitals for the sick.  Carnival cruise line has volunteered to use one of their ships as a hospital also.  But with all the scary unknowns, I see good.  Our nation has been so divided and I'm seeing unification.  People are being kind to one another.  I remember how I felt on Sept. 12, 2011 and there are some similarities.  Grocery stores are opening early and designating hours just for the elderly, when the store is fresh and clean and there are less crowds and young people are volunteering to get groceries for their elderly neighbors.  Families, us included, might just learn what it means to slow down and relax.  It's not all about rushing from one event to another.
Yesterday Mike and Nick worked together at Kim's, finishing her basement project.  Jay completed his paperwork for his new job and will start tonight.  I am so thankful he got a job.  I worked and paid some bills for mom.  This is life as we know it.

No comments: